Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Daily Kost Kutter is Born

Welcome to visitors from my other blogs, which are:
http://camp2008victorya.blogspot.com
http://stevemaloneygop.blogspot.com
http://pennsylvaniaforjohnmccain.blogspot.com.

This blog: http://dailykostkutter.blogspot.com will not deal with politics, except perhaps in a peripheral way. It will, however, deal with many of the themes covered previously in the now defunct blog called "Live Better on Less." (You can visit that at: http://livebetteronless.blogspot.com.)

I'm not a believer in "get rich quick" schemes. On the other hand, I strongly believe in "get rich . . . slowly" approaches. Also, I lecture people about how they should conduct their lives. But I do want to share my experiences about how I used to waste money, particularly in spending large sums on the purchase and maintenance of automobiles.

Today, I went to the urologist, an "experience" I hadn't endured before. I caught the bus at 7:31 two block from my home. I got off fairly near the hospital (five miles from my home), bought a Starbucks (not exactly a cost-saving move), went to the doctor's office for an 8:30 a.m. appointment. Then, I walked back to the bus stop and caught the 9:05 a.m. return to my home in Ambridge.

I didn't drive to the hospital, mainly because I don't own a car --and haven't since 1995. I didn't spend money on gasoline (at a whopping $3.19 per gallon today). I didn't spend money on parking ($2.00), or on insurance, or on car payments, or on depreciation of a vehicle.

I heard recently that the average American spends about $8,000 per year on automobile expenses. I don't. Instead, I spend about $500 per year on a rental car when I positively, absolutely can't do without one.

But what about the costs for the bus rides? Actually, since I'm a "senior" (a term I hate) I can ride buses in Pennsylvania for free. Actually, the Starbucks' coffee was my main expenditure today.

For many Americans, an automobile (or two, or three of them) are a money-pit. Saving or otherwise investing the $8,000 per year on auto expenses would make many American very rich. Some people can't live without an auto (mainly because of choices I might question), but I can.

Columns will appear here every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I'd very much love to have your input through comments or e-mails (to TalkTop65@aol.com.

1 comment:

R or K said...

Why is the media projecting Oboma as the choice for change?

The media could destroy this man yet it chooses to do the opposite.
Come on,the cover of the "Rolling Stone".
Welcome America, your next Jimmy Carter, bought in by the media for the media GOOD LUCK and SEE YA AMERICA.